Sunday, April 30, 2006

Kerala Fish Biriyani



Sunday lunch is always biriyani..easy to make and my kids love it. Today I made fish biriyani. I only know to make biriyani using a pressure cooker and this is how I do it





Fish:250gm cleaned and cut in to cubes( i buy fillet and just cut in to cubes)
Chilli poweder:2 t spn
Coriander powder:1 tspm
Pepper powder:1/2 t spn
Turmeric powder:1 t spn
lemon juice:1 tbl spn
salt.
Marinate the fish in the above masala and keep aside

Onion:1 cut fine
green chillies:3 split
ginger and garlic paste:1 t spn each
garam masala:1 t spn
oil:1 tbl spn
butter:1 tbl spn( didn't have ghee, so used the oil and butter combination)

Rice:2 cups, wash and soak for 10 mints
1 tbl spn lemon juice
Coriander leaves:1 handful, chopped fine
salt

Heat oil and butter in a pressure cooker, add the ginger garlic paste, when it is lightly browned, add the onion and green chillies and saute, when the onion is lightly browned add the fish and fry till the fish is lightly browned. Now add the drained rice and fry for 5 mints. Add 3 cups of water, lemon juice, coriander leaves and salt. When the steam is coming out, put the weight and off the fire. Keep the pressure cooker still on the burner..the retained heat will continue to cook the rice. Open after 15 mints. Garnish with fried onion and cashew nut. Total time needed to make the biriyani is less than 30 mints.

6 comments:

Scoot said...

wow!biryani...I miss my mom:(

Sarah said...

Maya:I miss my grandmother!!!!

Unknown said...

That sounds super duper yummy!!!!!

RP said...

I have never made biriyani in a pressure cooker. I would love to try this out. The recipe sounds yummy. We all love biriyani and we make it at least once in a week.

quills said...

I never tried biriyani using a pressure cooker, But this sounds yummy and since I am short on time as well this week, i think I am going to try it out.

Steadysteps said...

This turned out very well. Thanks for posting