Friday, April 07, 2006

Bubble and Squeak


If you are a Malayalee, lived in Malaysia, Singapore, India,England,Dubai,Holland and Canada, your cooking tend to be Rojak..Although I like to eat very spicy food, I also make western food. This recipe was given to me by my Scottish class mate who when I met for the first time told me "Hi, I am Sean, I am British, but not English". He probably saw the stunned look on my face and began to explain about Scottish people. I celebrated Burn's night with his family and this is his mother's recipe.
250 gm potatoes boiled and mashed
200 gm cabbage, chopped fine and boiled in a cup of water for 5 mints and drained.
1 onion chopped fine
2 tbl spn oil
Add the boiled cabbage to the mashed potatoes, add salt and a dash of pepper and mix them very well.
In a cast iron fry pan heat 1 tbl spn oil, fry the onion, reduce the heat to medium, add the cabbage potatoe mix and stir. using the spatula press down the mix in to the pan. When brown on one side, pour a spn of oil on top turn over and brown on the other side. Serve hot.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Yes this is an awesome one and I remember my British friend yes..British but then there 4-5 generations were born in Canada and thus...He n his wife a true Canadian taught me as I often enjoyed this for brunch during weekends at there place :)

Thnx
cheers

Sarah said...

Dawn: you are welcome.. i like it too with haggis