Monday, April 24, 2006

Salted fish chammanthi


How do i explain wht is this dish..How do i explain, the essence of a malayalee life is in the chammanthi.. In the morning we have dosa and thengga chammanthi. In afternoon we have rice and onakka meen chammathi/chemmen chammanthi. Evening it will be kappa and ulli chammanthi. Dinner it will be kanji and thengga chammanthi.

Salted fish and I don't normally get along. Unless it is ikan billis( dried anchovies).
I am addicted to them and whenever I leave Malaysia, I usually carry enough Ikan billis to last a year.

To make salted fish chammanthi,
2 tbl spn dried anchovies
1 tbl spn oil

2 shallots
5 green chillies
3 tbl spn grated coconut

I use dried anchovies. I deep fry washed and drained anchovies in the oil and drain.
In a pounding stone, I pound, shallots, green chillies and of freshly grated coconut, once it is nicely pounded, i add the fried salted fish, pound again and serve it with porridge..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A recipe site like yours,with lot of authentic Kerala recipes -- this is the one I was looking for.
Thank you so much and keep on posting please!

Sarah said...

lg: I learned cooking from my grandmother..My recipes are old!!! I am glad you like them

Scoot said...

chammanti yum yum yummmmmy.wow your recipes are from your grandmother's time!!!!
I am sooooo lucky...lol