Sunday, April 09, 2006

Vada pao


If I have choice between MacD burger and Vada pao( aka poor man's burger), I would pick Vada pao any day.When I was posted to Mumbai, My driver would take me to Mattugodi market and I would sit on the pavement and eat freshly made Vada pao in a soft bun with lots of chilli mint sauce. I certainly would have diarrhoea in the evening after eating Vada pao..but enjoy now suffer late was the motto then.

I don't know how to make the soft bun or the chilli mint chutney. But I learned how to make the Vada

Ingredients
250 gm potato..boiled, skinned and mashed
1 onion chopped fine
1 inch ginger chopped fine
a small bunch of coriander leaves chopped
6 green chillies chopped fine
1/2 t spn mustard seeds
1 tbl spn oil

for the batter
1 cup of besan(chickpea flour)
1/4 cup rice flour
1 t spn baking soda
1 t spn chilli powder
a pinch of asafoetida powder
3/4 cup water
salt.

oil for deep frying

Mix all the ingredients for the batter and make a smooth batter. Keep aside.

In a fry pan, heat oil, add mustard when it finished spluttering add the ginger, onion and greenchilli. Saute till the onion is light brown. Take it off from fire. Add the onion mix, coriander leaves, salt, turmeric and mix well with the mashed potato. Make in to small patties 2 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.

Heat oil for deep frying. Dip the potato patty in the batter, coat well and deep fry till it is golden brown. Serve hot with chilli sauce.

1 comment:

Shashank said...

For the chill chutney... Take some jalapeƱos and cilantro (can be substituted with mint leaves) in a ratio of about 3:2 by volume. Mix well in a blender, add a bit of salt and a tiny tiny bit of lemon, thats it...