Friday, April 14, 2006

Pazha prathaman


First of all wishing all of you a very happy new year. Vishu ashamsakal!!
We had payasam for onam, vishu and for our birthdays.
The best payasam in Kerala is Ambalapuzha temple's pal payasam. although I was born in to a religiously staunch orthodox christian family, i was also taught tolerance. Ambalapuzha palpayasam is the offering to the diety, yet I was never forbidden from consuming it. in fact my grandmother used to pay our hindu neighbours to buy it for us.

pazhaprathaman

6 ripe plantains( the small variety) cut in to 1/2 inch slices.
1 packet coconut milk powder(60 gm) mixed with 1 cup of water
Jaggery 150 gm/brown sugar 1 1/2 cup
Ghee 3 tbl spn

If using jaggery, boil it in 1 cup of water and strain

heat 1/2 cup of water in a pan, add the sliced bananas and the brown sugar. Stir and cook till the bananas are done and add the ghee, keep stirring. Add 1/2 cup of the coconut milk. stir. when it boils, take it off from fire and add the remaining coconut milk. Mix well and serve

You can also fry coconut pieces and cashew nut in ghee and garnish

5 comments:

Vineela said...

Hey,
HAPPY VISHU TO U AND UR FAMILY.
vineela

Sarah said...

thanks Vineela
god bless

Vineela said...

Hi ,
Thanks for ur compliments.
Vineela

Sarah said...

Ann:Thanks for visiting. Memories are like walking in the beach.. sometimes you find beautiful shells and sometimes nothing but crap. Still the walk is beautiful, so is the scenery.. I had a miserable childhood on one hand, yet there were so many beautiful moments too.. I think of the good times and the bad times..
I can't recreate the magic of my childhood, yet I can give my kids a part of my childhood.. They get kaineetam every onam and vishu..

VIDYA said...

hey! iam vidya, i was touched by your blog , could feel the words coming right out of ur heart.I would like to tell you that in the broad bivoc of life we defnitely shouldnt be like dumb driven cattle so u arent that , u r lucky in that way.