Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Onam sadya

When I started blogging, the main reason was, I wanted to hand over to my kids, things that I hold dear. When you are a malayalee, and when you have never been to Kerala, then you lose that cultural identity. My kids don't know much about India.
Every onam I try to make an ona sadya.. So that i can take them to a journey to Kerala, my childhood, my culture.
In my childhood, the ona sadya preparation is a long process. something even more unique is although my family are chrisitians and we celebrated onam the same way as the rest of hindu malayalees.
There were many taboos and rules regarding the sadya.There is a way to serve the sadya. The curries too have to be in certain order and there have to be a certain number of this and that. I don't remember any of that. I need help with all that..so dear fellow bloggers.. help me.. write whatever you remember about the onam sadya at your home. let us compile it and give it as a gift to our kids..
We will start with the rice

It is a must to have parboiled rice( kuthari) for the sadya. 1 cup uncooked rice is enough for 2 people. ( On onam days everyone I knew would morph in to shappattu ramans and we certainly cooked more rice)

I use 4 times water..ie 2 cups of rice needs 8 cups of water.

Boil the meassured water in a pan
Clean the rice and wash in many changes of water. When the water is boiling add the rice and keep the fire medium. Close the lid half( if you close it full, then you will clean all the mess too) and cook till the rice is done. Now turn off the heat and close the lid. I use cloth pegs to secure the lid to the pan and tilt the pan slowly drain the water. Or you can drain the water in a colander( not plastic).

I do try to save a glass of the rice water and drink that with a pinch of salt, while I make the rest of the food.
Tomorrow we will make the parippu curry.

16 comments:

Vineela said...

Hi IC,
what is the meaning of "sadya"?
Vineela

Anonymous said...

sadya in Malayalam = feast in English

Sarah, We should start with the Payasams first,dont you think? :)

First a bananaleaf is put (the head of leaf should be to your left and the wide portion to your right),water is sprinkled, then the leaf is wiped then uppu is served.So you should start with uppu. :-)

I too wanted to start a series on Sadya.Now that you have started, I will just input or have some free sadya.

Sarah said...

lg..isn't payasam drunk at the end? My british friend had a unique sadya experience.. I took him for a mallu wedding and they served the payasam in a small lotta along with all the stuff in the leaf and before I could stop,he mixed payasam with the rice ate, like you do with the banana leaf rice in Malaysia...I watched the expressions on his face..he never ate sadya again!!!

RP said...

I made some some plantain chips today, and with the last plantain I made my first attempt in sarkara upperi. Will post about it soon as a contribution to this post. Let me see if the pictures have come out good or not.

Anonymous said...

I was just kidding.:) Since payasam is my favourite part of the sadya :). hehehe,poor saayippu!
but actually people normally pour the payasam on the leaf when you are finished with rice,and they squeeze the banana with payasam and eat it. It is a technique I havent mastered,i need my paysam in my gladd.

Sarah said...

Lg:I too need my payasam in the lotta..

Rp:how did you slice the banana for frying? Amma would slice directly in to the oil. i can't do it and when I slice on the cutting board, the slices get stuck..

Anonymous said...

A mandoline is all you need for perfect upperi. Hold the mandoline above the pot with hot oil and do
'chuck','chuck','chuck'

RP said...

I use a mandolin for slicing. But I am a little afraid to do it directly to the hot oil. So I first let the slices fall on to a cutting board, and I will separate them with my fingers as I add to the hot oil.

Sarah said...

LG.. what brand mandoline do I have to buy? Suggest a brand.. abt the pazham with payasam... what pazham do I hv to mix..poovan pazham??

Rp.. mine still get stuck, much as I try to keep them separate.. i once had a bright idea to put the slices in water..you can guess what happend.. sometimes, I can do absolute dumb things

Ann: I know how you feel.. I enjoy malayalee food..I was blessed with a good grandmother, who would make yummy food. My mother didn't and wouldn't cook. She hated cooking.

RP said...

Hmmm... Take a handful of sticky plantain slices on your left hand. Using your right hand separate & pick the slices one by one and drop to the oil quickly. Does that make sense? hehehee I don't know how to explain! Practice makes perfect!

Sumitha said...

Hey I know one thing about the arrangement of food on the banana leaf and that is,ripe banana,banana chips,sharkara upperi,all these items should be placed on the lower left hand side of the leaf!

Hey you can include my beetroot pachadi for the onasadya.
The mixing of payasam and rice by your friend was so funny!

RP I loved your detailed explanation!

Kay said...

Maybe this can help you.
http://geocities.com/onasadya/

(From my list of bookmarks) I found this when I was browsing the net for a particular keralite recipe that my friend made for Onam.

renuramanath said...

hi sarah, so you visited my incomplete blog !
well, you want ona sadya ? what a pity i can't invite you over to my home for next onam.
for one, like everything related to kerala food, there is no one 'onasadya.' there may be, a stereotype created mainly by the tourism industry. but, in fact, the ona sadya has as many variations as the local accents of malayalam.
for example, do you ever know that in the northern districts of kerala, kannur and kasaragode, non-vegetarian dishes are a major part of ona sadya ? something sacrilegious for the middle adn southern keralites.
that's only the beginning. wait for my blog.

Vanita said...

Hi

Can you email me the list of dishes along with method of preparation.. its gonan be my first onam ! and i need to get all organised... !pls email me the link

arunsubru said...

Wishing you a happy and prosperous onam.

Once upon a lifetime in kerala

Dino said...

Hi,

Happy Onam 2008 to you all.
I came upon this article on Sadya and I think it will help you folks a lot.
There are certain things still missing in this article, hope people can answer it.

http://www.hindu-blog.com/2007/08/how-to-serve-onasadya-onam-feast.html

Regards
Dinesh