Saturday, May 06, 2006

Muringakka sambar


I love muringakka..aka drumsticks. My aunt used to make chappathi with murnigakka leaves. and my grandma used to make excellent muringakka thoran. Although I have eaten it, I never cooked it myself till I went back to Malaysia. I bought it from the market one morning, came home, peeled the green part using a peeler and made sambar..unfortunately I didn't know I shouldn't peel the green part of the muringakka.. what was left in the sambar was just sticks..that at some point in life was muringakka..
It is easier to make sambar with ready made sambar powder. But I don't like the predominant coriander flavour in ready made mix.

tovar dhal:1 cup.. wash and soak for 30 mints
drum stick:4 cut in to 2 inch long pieces
turmeric:1 t spn
chilli powder:1 tsp
onion:1 sliced in to long pieces
tomatoes:2 quartered
green chillies:4 split in to half
salt
oil:1tsp
tamarind pulp:2 tsp
jaggery:1 tbsp

dessicated coconut:5 tsp

for tempering
oil:2 tsp
asafoetida:2 pinch
mustard seeds:1 tsp
onion:chopped fine:1 tsp
dried red chillies:2 cut in to half
curry leaves:1 sprig

1.Boil the dhal, onion, tomatoes,turmeric powder,chilli powder,green chillies and tamrind, jaggery and oil together with 2 cups of water till the dhal is cooked. Add the drum sticks and cook for another 10 mints.
2.meanwhile, heat a wok on med heat and fry the coconut, stirring often till it is browned. Take it off from fire.Cool and then grind to a fine paste.
3.When the drum sticks are cooked, add the ground coconut and salt to taste. top up with more water if the dhal is too thick.
4. Heat the wok again, add the oil, when it is hot, add the asafoetida, then the mustard, then onion. When the onion is browned add the dried red chilli and curry leaves. fry for 30 sec, take the wok off the fire and pour the whole thing in to the sambhar and eat hot.
If you like, you can garnish with coriander leaves.
Note:you can use any vege for sambhar like okra, aubergines,pumpkin potatoes etc

No comments: