Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Neychoru


Jameela Aunty was my mother's good friend. During the fasting month, I was always at her place and use to eat with her family the 'buka puasa' meal. She belongs to the mamak clan and make the best malabar neychoru. This is her recipe


Basmathi rice:2 cup
Ghee:1/2 cup (not for the diet concerned people!!)
onion:sliced lengthwise:2
Hot water:5 cups

Clove:4
cardomom:3
cinnamon:1 inch piece
peppercorns:6
cumin seeds:1 tspn
heat a wok and dry fry all the spices and grind.

Wash the rice and soak for 10 mints and then drain

Heat the ghee in a casserole, add the onion, when it is slightly browned add the rice, stir for 5 mints, add the water and salt, cover and cook on medium heat, till the rice is done and no more water.
Sprinkle the spice powder on the rice, mix gently. Place a wet kitchen towel on top of the rice, cover and place it in a preheated oven(350 degree) and bake for 20 mints. Serve with mutton currry

8 comments:

Scoot said...

wow sarah!
do you have a recipe for those yummy brown coloured biryanis cooked in muslim calicut style?

RP said...

Looks yummy.
I am adding you to my blogroll.

Anonymous said...

Sarah (wanted to tell you for a long time,What a nice name you have, I wish mine was Sarah)

The neychoru I have seen is in yellow colour.You dont add turmeric?

Sarah said...

Maya:will post kozhikkodan biriyani today
RP:Thanks for the blogroll
LG:I hated my name till I was in my 20's. Imagine growing up in Kerala, where beena and bincy names were popular and i was stuck with an ancient name..the view changed one day.. and i will blog abt it.
abt the neychoru:the one I hv eaten is cooked be malabar muslim clan..it was always white(to slight brown because of the spice mix) so am not sure, if they do add turmeric in other parts of kerala

Vineela said...

HI,
I do make this recipe but not with basmathi.may be it is called as ghee rice correct .Ney is malayalam and neyyi is telugu for ghee.But malabar pepper will be very spicy i think.
Vineela

Scoot said...

I am the luckiest person on this blog:))

Sarah said...

vineela: I think ghee rice is one of the version.. the malabar neychoru is kind of spicy unlike the ghee rice i used to eat in bangalore..I used to eat so much of tht with paneer butter masala..man I miss India
Maya:You are sweet

Arya said...

Hi Sarah,
Your recipes are amazing. Just a quick question?
By 'cumin seeds', do you mean 'perinjeerakam' or 'cherujeerakam'?