Saturday, August 12, 2006

Biriyani: Vegetarian

There are so many types of Biriyanis..most of them with meat and being suriyani Christiani, We always had mutton/chicken biriyani at home. Till I went to India, I didn't even know there is such a thing as Vegetable Biriyani.
This recipe was given to me by a Hyderabadi classmate who claimed that it is the original Nawabi Biriyani recipe from the Hyderabad palace. She told me it is the best and I thought, hmmm veg biriyani? Tasting good? From the royal palace? That is a joke.. Anyway to make the long story short, I made this biriyani and have made it again and again and again.. It is simple superb..And i did tell my classmate my initial thoughts and the final outcome.. She said only one sentence
"I told you!!"

So here I am sharing my favourite vegetable Biriyani..Do try it and let me know

Ingredients

Basmati Rice: 2 cups

potatoes: 200 gms
Carrots: 150 gms
Cashews: 50 gms
slivered almonds: 50 gm


Ghee: 2 tbl spn
Cloves:4
Cardomom: 3
Cinnamon: 1 inch stick
Bay leaves: 2

Onion: 100 gms
ginger: 25 gms
garlic: 25 gms
green chillies:6 split lengthwise
Turmeric powder:1 t spn
Chilli powder:1/2 t spn

Yogurt: 1 cup
Mint leaves: One handful(only the leaves sans stems)
coriander leaves: one handful(discard the stems)

1. Wash the rice and cook in 5 cups of water and sufficient salt till it is 3/4 done and drain. Set aside
2. peel and cube the potatoes and carrot. Slice the onion finely. scrape the ginger and peel the garlic and make ginger garlic paste.
3. Heat the gheee in a large casserole (with lid), add the cloves, cinnamon,cardomom and bay leaves. Fry for a minute, add the sliced onion, fry till the onion is lightly browned. Add the ginger garlic paste and the green chillies, almonds and cashews, fry for 2 mints and now add the cubed potatoes and carrots and half cup of yogurt. Add salt and mix well, cover and cook till the vege are cooked.
4:preheat oven to 350 degrees
5: Mix the other half of yogurt with finely cut mint and coriander leaves
6. When the vege is cooked and the gravy is thick, take the casserole off from the fire
7. Layer some rice on top of the vege in the casserole, sprinkle the yogurt, coriander, mint mix on top, layer the rice, again the yougurt mix. The top layer should be rice.
7. Place a wet kitchen towel on top of the rice and cover the casserole with aluminium foil and place the lid on top.
8. Bake for 20 mints.
9. Before serving, gently mix the vege with the rice.

I like to eat this biriyani with cucumber raita.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back chechi. Superb recipe.

Annita said...

I was always looking for a good veg biriyani recipe..it seems good to me,will be trying it soon,Sarah...

Scoot said...

am going try this out soon.am at home with my sis and might even ask her to try it out ;) will let you know how it goes.

indianadoc said...

Have been eating a lot of carnivorous stuff of late...I think u'r veg biriyani could be a cool green break for my carnivourous buds!!