Monday, August 28, 2006

payasam

What is onam if you don't have payasam? Of all the payasam in the world the best would be what is served in Ambalapuzha temple. Whenever our neighbour went there, he would send his son to our place asking Ammachi, if we want the payasam. Ammachi would give him a steel container and 10Rs( which is a lot of money then). Around 3pm, I would sit on the parapet wall, to listen to the sound of the bus arriving and wait for the neighbour. Just as he reached the road that bifurcates, he would give one steel container to his son and I would run all the way down the road to meet the son half way. I was so worried that, the son would steal a bit of my payasam and drink, that I ran faster than PT Usha. I used to grab the container from his hand and run back home shouting a small thank you. When I reached the huge jack fruit tree, I would stop and look for Ammachi, if she isn't standing near the vernada, I always opened the container and drank a few mouthful of payasam..if she was there, I would sigh and hand her the container..

Pal payasam

Basmati rice" 1/4 cup.
Sugar: 1 1/2 cup
Milk" 2 lit
evaporated milk: 1/2 can
Cashew nuts: 12, fry them in a spoon of hot ghee.
cardomom powder: 1/2 t spn.( sift the powder, so there won't be any big black pieces of seed or the husk)

Wash the rice well and drain. when the rice is almost dry, put in a blender and pulse it for 3 seconds, till the grains are crushed a bit.
Boil the milk, keep stirring for 20 mints to reduce the milk and thicken it slightly, add the rice and the sugar, reduce the flame and cook till the rice is done.
When the rice is cooked, add the evaporated milk and the cardomom powder and boil for another 2 mints. Take it off from fire and garnish with the fried cashew nut. Enjoy

3 comments:

indianadoc said...

Who does not love palpayasam!!...I can visualise the PT Sara running for the paayasam!! And the wonderful coincidence is that I too have just posted one on Naivedyams which include paalpayasam as well...

Roland said...

Hello,

I'm actually writing to you about rose apples. I saw your comments on http://injimanga.blogspot.com/2006/05/guess-fruit-wax-jambu.html because I found some rose apples in Surrey, BC at the TNT Asian grocery store and wanted to know how to prepare them. When I saw your comment that you hadn't had any for 20 years, I thought you'd like to know that they are available there.

Scoot said...

yummy yummy :))