Friday, June 02, 2006

Rasam

Although, some people say the traditional ona sadya doesn't include rasam, I find it nice to eat rasam with parippu curry. Don't ask why.. It is one combination I am very fond of.
There are three types of Rasam I make. Sada rasam, Lemon rasam and mango rasam.
But today I will share you a recipe from Alexis mother. The other day I was telling him about Malaysian food and he mentioned about eating parippuvada soaked in Rasam. It reminded me of the type of rasam my Ammachi used to make. She called it Mulakuthanni and it was spicy. I don't know how to make that. So this is what Alexis send me..from his mother's collection

1. Tuar dal - 1/4 cup
2. Masoor dal - 1/4 cup
3. Tomatoes - 1 16 oz.can or 4 large tomatoes
4. Tamarind extract - 1/2 teaspoon
5. Black pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
6. Fennel seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Dry red chili - 2 or 3
8. Chili powder - 1/2 teaspoon
9. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
10. Asafoetida powder - 1/2 teaspoon
11. Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
12. Garlic cloves - 3
13. Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
14. Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
15. Coriander and curry leaves - a bunch
16. Salt - to taste

1) Cook the dal well with sufficient water.
2) Add the tomatoes, salt, chili powder, turmeric powder and tamarind extract. 3) Crush the cumin and garlic and add to the Rasam with the black pepper. 4) Simmer for a few minutes and add the Asafoetida powder.
5) Heat a little oil in a fry pan and pop the mustard seeds. Add the fenugreek and fennel seeds and curry leaves after removing the heat source.
6) Add this to the rasam.
7) Garnish with coriander leaves.

I followed this recipe and made rasam today and it is perfect..
and now I am going to make Vada.. to eat parippuvada soaked in rasam.

2 comments:

indianadoc said...

Roaming around the 'blog high street', I landed up here...and I feel that you are more at 'home' than any body else with your Erissery, morukoottan and Kalan...tis indeed a wonderful sadya...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Did you see this?

http://adukkala.blogspot.com/