Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Mango rasam

This is my favourite. After all I am a malayalee and I love mangoes..

This recipe requires something called chanacha manga ..mango that is neither too ripe, nor too raw..Slightly ripe, with a tinge of sweetness..ah..and you can make the best rasam with it..

Toovar dal:1/4 cup
water:4 cups
semi ripe mango cut in to cubes: 1/2 cups
Ginger: 1/2 inch ..pounded

pepper powder: 1 t spn
turmeric powder:1/2 t spn
cumin powder:1/2 t spn

Oil:2 tbl spn
dried red chilli:1 broke in to 3 pieces
curry leaves: 1 sprig

Clean and wash the dal and cook it in 2 cups of water. When the dal is cooked add the other 2 cups of water, mango pieces, ginger, pepper, cumin and turmeric powder.Add salt and cook till the mango is done(abt 10 mints on medium fire). Take it off from fire

Heat 2 tbl spn oil and tadak the dried chilli and curry leaf and pour over the rasam and eat with rice.

Note: My grandmother adds a a tbl spn of coriander seeds along with the ginger and pound it. I am not fond of coriander in the rasam. You can use any dal. Last time I made it with masoor dal( that was the only dal I had!!)

5 comments:

Vineela said...

Hi IC,
I like the name chanacha manga.we do make similar sambar like this with slightly mangoes.But adding ginger is new to me.Going to try next time wheni will have mangoe.
Vineela

Unknown said...

WOW!!! Sounds super delicious!!!!

Scoot said...

hey there.even am not fond of coriander powder too much.here in the markets they sell garam masala which is not like the garam masala that my mom makes.it's adulterated with coriander powder

Bee said...

Am a first time visitor to your blog..

I have just prepared the mango rasam based on your recipe..with the coriander powder.. it has turned out amazing! I just added 3-4 drops of lemon for more tang!

thanks for the recipe!

Ramki said...

Hi,

Am blogging your Rasam as a model recipe in the 1001 Rasam cookbook at http://ramkicooks.blogspot.com.
Thanks for the recipe.