Monday, June 12, 2006

Pineapple Pachadi

Malayalees are famous for their culinary invention. How else would you have this delicacy called pachadi..that is so soothing amongst all the spicy food?
My all time favourite is pineapple pachadi. Unlike my grnadmother, who would go to the fields, check each and every pineapple before she finds the RIGHT one, then bring it home, painstakingly cut it and cube it, I go to the nearest shop and buy a big can of pineapple and use what I need and freeze the rest in small zip lock bags. So I have a ready supply of pineapple for the pachadi..and I make it often during summer months.

Pineapple cubes: 2 cups
green chilli:3 split lengthwise
Ginger: 1 small piece, cut in to tiny pieces.
Pineapple syrup: 2 tbl spn( the liquid that comes along with the canned pineapple)
Coconut:1/2 cup
Curd:1 cup(thick)
Mustard powder: 1/4 t spn. (I use Caines's mustard powder.)

Coconut oil: 1 tbl spn
curry leaves:1 sprig
dried chilli:2 broke in to small pieces

Cook the pineapple with the green chillies, ginger, 2 tbls syrup and 1/4 cup of water for 5 mints.
Grind the coconut fine
Add the coconut to the pineapple and mix it well. Reduce the flame and cook for another 10 mints. Take it off from fire and add the yogurt salt and mustard powder.

Heat oil and tadka the mustard,curry leaves and dried red chilli and pour over the pachadi.
Serve cold.

Note: if you don't have mustard powder, pound 1/4 t spn mustard fine, sift to remove the husk and use. If the pachadi is too sour add a t spn of sugar to balance the flavour.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!!! I love this. I goes really well with nasi minyak & kurma.

Sumitha said...

Thanks so much for this recipe!I will definetly try it soon Sarah!

Anonymous said...

ente Sarahye,
I dont know how you read my mind.:)
I made pulisseri and you made pachadi :)

Onam Sadya evidem vare aayi?

archana said...

My goodness, this happened again !!! R U guys twins or something? Hoooo Haaa

Krithika said...

Good recipe. I've never tried pineapple pachadi with mustard powder.