Friday, March 17, 2006

Paneer butter Masala

Everyone in my family knows how much I love paneer butter masala. When I was expecting, my matsalleh brother in law would bring the frozen paneer butter masala from Koshy's restaurent in Bangalore(poor guy.. going for business meetings and getting countless sms from me asking if he bought the curry yet) all the way to KL. At one time he forgot to pick it up from the hotel freezer and I didn't forgive him easily...
I have tried all the known recipes and never ever mastered the right way to do it.. There were so many variations
The following recipe came close to the one I have eaten in india.. but the colour.. no way.. I don't know how they do it.

Paneer 250 gm cubed and fried
onion 2..boil one and blend. cut the other one
ginger and garlic ground..1 tbl spn each
Cashew nut..10..soaked and ground.
Tomato. I used canned and 2 tbl spn
Kasoori methi 1/2 t spn
1/2 t spn chilli powder.
Butter 1 tbl spn
Garam masala 1 tbl spn

Heat butter. add the ginger garlic paste, fry then the ochopped onion, saute, add the blended onion and cashew... cook for a while and then add tomato,chilli powder and kassori methi and garam masla.. boil, then add the paneer.. Done enjoy

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds good but wonder how it looks like.

Annita said...

Sounds really gud..I am also a butter Paneer fan..

Sarah said...

it looks brown... I just can't get the wonderful red colour, unless I add colouring, which I am agaisnt.. tried adding tomato puree, I got a a tart tasting curry....Gosh I miss the medical college days in India..

Shalini said...

Hey, you dont have add any artificial colour but just try some strands of saffron on it... it adds more colour and aroma too... and while grinding the masalas add a piece of cinnamon too... lemme know the results after u try this...

Unknown said...

Thanx iic. Wonder wat ur real name is....... Anyway, I've added u in my blogroll. Hey check out www.nurkochen.de. It's fun there.

Sarah said...

Thanks shalini
Will try adding the saffron and cinnamon
Pushpa.. thanks for the blog roll. real name is Sarah