Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Christmas cake icing


I have been wanting to update my recipe blog, but I never get the chance to do so.. I wish a day had more than 24 hours!

I just finished icing my christmas cake today. I haven't made the rose flowers yet.!!( will upload the photo later)

The process of Icing a cake sounds a lot complicated. In reality it is one of the easiest thing to do.

I usually use marzipan as a base coat and Royal icing as a top coat.

Marzipan( Almond icing)
100gm almonds ground
1 cup icing sugar
3/4 cup castor sugar(fine)
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp lemon juice

In a bowl, mix the lemon juice and the egg yolk, add the rest of the ingredients and knead well till it feels smooth and nice. Sprinkle icing sugar on a kitchen board and roll the almond icing to 1/4 inch thickness( I find it easier to roll the icing, when I sprinkle some icing sugar on top of the almond mix and then roll).
I do cover the whole cake with the almond icing, so it is easier for me to do the royal icing. But you don't have to do it. You can cover just the top of the cake and not the side
Some people apply 2 to 3 spoons of apricot jam over the cake, before placing the almond icing, so the almond icing would stick to the cake. I hate apricots!


Next layer is the Royal icing. It is one of the easiest icing.. this is how you do it
1 egg white
1 tsp lemon juice
2 to 2 1/2 cup icing sugar

First thing to do is sift the icing sugar.. so that there are no lumps

In a fairly big bowl, mix the egg white and the lemon juice using a fork. ( you don't have to beat it so much.. just simple mixing will do)
Now add the icing sugar one spoon at a time (do not add too much of sugar at one time, you will get a lousy icing..I am telling you that from experience!!), in to the egg lemon juice mix and keep stirring, keep adding the icing sugar till you get the fairly stiff icing..
(I dip a spatula in to the icing and lift a bit of icing up and check if the icing forms a peak).
Apply the icing on top of the marzipan layer and smoothen the surface.

See, I told you, it is simple!!

The cake above was the one I baked for my daughter's birthday.The top coat is royal icing and the dancing girl was made with Plastic icing..

10 comments:

Gini said...

You can bake, girl!! What an amazing job. I have never tried my hand at cake decorating, but now that you say it is really easy I gotta try it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks so pretty sarah

Anonymous said...

wow Sarah!
that is so divine looking.I love the pink frock and it looks so beautiful.I can smell it from here....ahhh!

VIDYA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
VIDYA said...

ayo.... i delted my comment by mistake..

omg.....it looks soooooo cute....the pink frock and ,.......


i brought icing sugar and never knew how 2 use it properly.......

well iam defnitely tryin the icing...

is marzipan icing hard ???

uve also mentioned plastic icing.....wat is tht ?

Sarah said...

Gini: Believe me.. it is easy..( I am least bit artistically talented.. so if I can.. anyone can!)

Shakari: Thank you

Maya: The frock was done by using a tooth pick to make the impression on a piece of rolled icing!

Vidya: Marzipan is soft.. Plastic icing is made using Liquid glucose.. Will blog the recipe soon

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful!
What is plastic icing?

Anonymous said...

Wow Sarah, thats sooooo pretty! You are too good at a lot of things!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

Lincoln Madison said...

Toll free numbers enable your existing and prospective customers to take phone calls in your business telephone without needing to stress about paying for anything just to do a phone call.