Thursday, November 30, 2006

Christmas recipes

Every year on the first day of Nov, I soak the fruits for the christmas cake. You may ask Why Nov 1st?
2 reasons.
The first one: Kerala celebrates Kerala day on that day and being a malayalee I celebrate Kerala day
The other reason is, it is the perunnal(festival) of Parumala Thirumeni, patron saint of Jacobite Christians.
I usually soak 1.5 kg of mixed fruit in 2 cups of rum.

I bake the cake on the 1st of december and from then on, every week I pour a tbl spn of rum on top of the cake till Christmas..( did I tell you, my kids are normally well behaved and extremely sleepy after eating the christmas cake??)

This year, I am taking my oldest daughter through a culinary journey of the Christmas of my childhood..
I remember having vattayappam, pal appam, stew, orappam, kuzhalappam, achappam and ofcourse Christmas cake every christmas as a child.
Join me as I make all the wonderful goodies and celebrate another year of peace and happiness

5 comments:

Geets said...

How old is your oldest daughter?
What is Orappam?

SK said...

definitely will..thanks for sharing Sarah !!

Sarah said...

Techno: Orappam is the best part of malayalee dessert.. It is made out of coconut milk and something like halva..but much easier than halwa..
My oldest daughter is 8 yrs old and is starting to ask about her identity.. She wants to know more about Kerala and our culture..

Sk: That would be lovely

Anonymous said...

wow christmas recipes!i love Christmas...who doesn't?!!
am busy updating my recipe book with your recipes

VIDYA said...

wow......kodiavanu....